Overview of SEP for Government Entity-Declared Disaster or Other Emergency* A special enrollment period (SEP) exists for individuals affected by a disaster or other emergency declared by a federal, state, or local government entity who were unable to, and did not make an election during another valid election period.
This SEP allows for enrollment and disenrollment elections. You can find more information in the CY2021 MA Enrollment and Disenrollment Guidance.
Here's what you need to know about the SEP in North Carolina
The SEP information provided below is based on the following government entity source: the Governor of North Carolina's executive order. The SEP start and end dates are accurate as of the date of this communication.**
|State||Type of disaster or emergency||Impacted area||Incident start & end dates||SEP start & end dates**|
|North Carolina||Winter Storm||Entire state||2/17/21 - 3/19/21||2/17/21 - 5/31/21|
- Individuals impacted are eligible for this SEP if they meet the criteria listed below.
- When helping eligible clients enroll, please write "SEP-DST" in the Reasons for Special Enrollment Period Eligibility section of the application.
- If an individual wants to enroll and believes they may qualify for this SEP, agents should:
- Ask the beneficiary if they can show proof that they lived/live in an impacted area at the start of the incident period.
- If they do not have proof, ask them to verbally attest.
- IMPORTANT: Remember, you cannot use this SEP opportunity to proactively market to beneficiaries. However, you can assist any clients who contact you about this SEP.
Individuals are eligible for this SEP if they:
- Reside, or resided at the start of the SEP eligibility period, described in this guidance, in an area for which a federal, state or local government entity has declared a disaster or other emergency. Or, they do not reside in an affected area, but rely on help making health care decisions from one or more individuals who reside in an affected area; and
- Were eligible for another election period at the time of the SEP eligibility period; and
- Did not make an election during that other valid election period due to the disaster or other emergency.
Have questions? Call us today at 866-568-9649!